Make sure your customers never forget you!
When it comes to business, absence does not make the heart grow fonder. In fact, more often than not, it’s out of sight, out of mind.
Imagine that you have had a fantastic, meaningful conversation with a prospect. You’re sure they’re going to be calling you in the next day or so to firm up a sale – and they don’t. Oh, did I say ‘imagine’ or have you experienced this in your own business? You see, just like when you left the meeting, your prospect’s life continued on. On the way back to the office, they may have stopped off to do small errands. When they got back, other things distracted them and soon their main focus took them into a totally different direction than the moment you said goodbye. In fact, when your prospect leaves you, the process of forgetting begins, not the act of remembering. This is why the follow up is essential. Do you have a follow up process in place designed to keep that memory alive until you close the sale? Now you know why you need one.
Simple solutions for staying in touch
- Follow up immediately after meeting a prospect. Email can be impersonal, so personalize it. Alternatives are snail mail note, or a phone call.
- If possible, make a recommendation or a referral to your prospect – yes, even before you’ve closed your sale.
- Invite your prospect to a networking event, seminar or conference that would be interesting to them. Note, this is not a sales opportunity. It’s about them, not you.
- Ask if they’d like to be added to your newsletter list, or connect over social media. It’s important to make sure you ask first, so they don’t feel pressured.
- Check in from time to time to see if there’s anything else they need to help them make a buying decision. Ask them how often they’d like you to check in, and how.
Be proactive in staying top of mind.
It really is true that the money is in the follow up